Lions in the News
What has been happening at the Lions Club of Newbury?
- The money we raised from the Fireworks at Newbury Racecourse and the Santa collections is already being put to good use.
- At Christmas time we distributed store vouchers to 100 families referred to us as needing a little extra support.
- We have also responded to individual requests for household items from those in need and unable to fund them.
- We have booked ahead for output caravan holidays which will benefit nine families, some of whom have never been on holiday before.
- We are also planning to take a coach load of children and families to a special Lions Day Out at Paultons Park in May.
- The rest of the money will be held in our Welfare Fund to be used throughout the year where and when help is needed.
- We joined many other local charities at Cafe Nero in Newbury....it was relaxed and fun way to meet the public and spread the news about what Lions do!
- We have also held a drinks reception at the Diamond Tap to thank all our helpers and to encourage people to join us and become a Lion.
Our next fund raiser will be the Giant Easter Egg Raffles....coming to a venue near you, details coming very soon.
Finally, on behalf of the Lions Club of Newbury, Lion Judith was delighted to present Isobel Roberts with her Lions Young Leader in Service Gold Award on Sunday 26th February. Isobel has completed more than 100 hours of voluntary work in a year, supporting the Brownies as a Young Leader. The Lions Club of Newbury wish to congratulate Isobel Roberts with this excellent achievement and wish her well for the future.
The club recently honoured two individuals with its highest award.
Lion Drew completed a successful year as president of the club and handed over the chain of office to Lion Di Merchant at a recent meeting.
2017 is the year Lions Clubs around the world are celebrating 100 years of Service in the heart of their local communities. As part of these celebrations, the 770+ Clubs in Britain and Ireland have been challenged to meet a series of targets centred on health, youth, supporting others, the environment and recognising local achievers.
As we approach the half way point in this our Centennial Year, the Lions Club of Newbury proudly records its achievements to date in 2017.
The Newbury Lions were at the Yattendon and Frilsham Village Fete on the Late May Bank Holiday with our roundabout.